ILS Glideslope Speed RNAV
For ILSILS —Instrument Landing System glideslope speed questions, there are three methods to solve the problem:
- Use trigonometry. This gives the most accurate answer, but is time consuming and requires converting between knots and feet per minute — a difficult conversion, and easy to get wrong.
- Use . This is slightly quicker and slightly less accurate, but also requires converting units.
- Know that on a 3° glideslope, your rate of descent in feet per minute is 5 times your groundspeed. This is the fastest and most efficient way.
Note that if you are given a TASTAS —True Air Speed, you must first apply a head or tailwind correction.
To use the fastest and most efficient method:
- Multiply your groundspeed by 5.
- Multiply the answer by your actual glideslope.
- Divide by 3.
This will give you your rate of descent in knots.
Get instant access to
Start your free trial today.
Prefer multiple choice questions